Putting fishing line on an open-face reel is a simple process that requires minimal effort and time. The most important thing to remember when doing this is to make sure the line is wound on properly and evenly, so the reel functions correctly. Here are the steps to follow for the best way to put fishing line on an open-face reel:
- Step 1: Unspool the new fishing line from its spool and measure out the amount needed for your rod. Cut with scissors at the appropriate length.
- Step 2: Thread one end of the line through each of your rod’s guides, starting at the tip and working toward the handle.
- Step 3: Attach one end of your line to the reel’s spool by looping it around itself several times and then tying it off securely with a double overhand knot.
- Step 4: Start winding your line onto your reel, beginning at the front (top) of your spool and working toward the back (bottom). Make sure you wind it in tight, even layers so there aren’t any gaps between them.
- Step 5: When you’re done winding, tie off the remaining end of your line to itself with a double overhand knot, then trim off any excess.
The best way to put fishing line on an open-face reel is to unspool it from its spool, measure out an appropriate length, thread one end through each guide starting from tip to handle, attach one end of your line to the spool by looping it around itself several times then tying off securely with a double overhand knot. Wind in tight even layers towards back (bottom) of spool before tying off remaining end with another double overhand knot. Trim any excess after this process is done.