What Happens When a Cat Eats Fishing Line?

Cats are curious creatures, and as such, they can often get themselves into trouble. One of the most dangerous things a cat can do is eat fishing line. Fishing line is composed of polyethylene, an indigestible material that can cause serious harm to cats if ingested.

When a cat eats fishing line, it can become lodged in their mouth or throat, resulting in difficulty breathing or even choking. In addition to the physical dangers posed by fishing line ingestion, the cat may ingest other objects that were attached to the fishing line such as hooks and weights. These items can cause serious injuries or even death if they become lodged in the cat’s intestines or stomach.

Fishing line can also cause internal damage to cats if it is swallowed. If the string becomes tangled up in their intestines, it can lead to a blockage known as a bowel obstruction.

This condition requires immediate medical care as it can be life-threatening if left untreated. In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the obstruction and prevent further damage from occurring.

If your cat has ingested fishing line, it is important to seek veterinary attention immediately. The vet will likely take x-rays of your cat’s abdomen to determine where the string is located and what other items may have been ingested along with it. They will also be able to determine if surgery is necessary and provide pain relief for your pet while they recover from any injuries that have been caused by eating the fishing line.

Eating fishing line poses serious health risks for cats and should never be taken lightly. It can lead to choking, internal injuries due to swallowed objects such as hooks or weights, and bowel obstruction which requires immediate medical attention in order for treatment to be successful. If your cat has eaten fishing line, seek veterinary help right away so you can ensure a full recovery for your pet.

Photo of author

Lindsay Collins