What Causes Oxygen Toxicity in Scuba Diving?

Oxygen toxicity is a serious hazard for scuba divers, as it can cause convulsions, unconsciousness, and even death. Oxygen toxicity occurs when a diver breathes in too much oxygen during a dive. The primary cause of oxygen toxicity is the cumulative effect of breathing compressed air at depths greater than 60 feet (18 meters). The deeper you dive, the greater the pressure of the surrounding water; this increased pressure causes nitrogen gas to be released from your body tissues. As nitrogen gas is released, it displaces oxygen in your bloodstream, leading to an increase in oxygen concentration.

When oxygen levels become too high, it can lead to an array of symptoms known as “oxygen toxicity syndrome”.

These symptoms include dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances and fatigue. In more severe cases it can cause seizures and unconsciousness. It’s important for divers to understand their limits and not exceed their maximum operating depths or stay underwater for too long; this helps avoid oxygen toxicity.

Oxygen toxicity can also be caused by breathing mixtures that are higher than normal in oxygen content. For example, some technical divers use mixtures of helium and oxygen which have higher levels of oxygen than regular air mixtures used for recreational diving.

Finally, another potential cause of oxygen toxicity is hypoxia; this occurs when a diver’s body doesn’t receive enough oxygen to function properly and leads to confusion and decreased awareness. Hypoxia can occur due to lack of proper training or equipment failure.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, what causes oxygen toxicity in scuba diving is primarily the cumulative effect of breathing compressed air at depths greater than 60 feet (18 meters). Other possible causes include breathing mixtures that are higher than normal in oxygen content or hypoxia due to lack of proper training or equipment failure. It’s important for divers to understand their limits and take all necessary safety precautions when diving to avoid any potential health risks associated with oxygen toxicity.

Photo of author

Daniel Bennet