Are you a seafood lover? Do you enjoy indulging in a delicious piece of baked salmon?
If so, you might be wondering how many calories are in this mouthwatering dish. Let’s dive into the health benefits and calorie content of baked salmon!
The Nutritional Powerhouse: Salmon
Salmon is not only a delectable fish but also a nutritional powerhouse. Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein, and various essential vitamins and minerals, it is a favorite among health-conscious individuals.
Calories in Baked Salmon
If you’re watching your calorie intake, knowing the number of calories in your food is crucial. A four-ounce (113g) serving of baked salmon contains approximately:
- Calories: 206
- Protein: 22 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Saturated fat: 2 grams
- Cholesterol: 62 milligrams
Baked salmon provides an excellent source of lean protein without excessive calories. It’s a great choice for those looking to maintain or lose weight while enjoying a satisfying meal.
The Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
In addition to its moderate calorie content, baked salmon is rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fats have been associated with numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation and improving brain function.
Omega-3 fatty acids can also help lower the risk of heart disease by reducing triglyceride levels and decreasing blood pressure. They may even contribute to healthier skin and hair!
Vitamins and Minerals in Baked Salmon
Baked salmon is a fantastic source of several essential vitamins and minerals. It contains:
- Vitamin B12: important for red blood cell formation and nerve function
- Vitamin D: aids calcium absorption for strong bones
- Selenium: an antioxidant that supports immune function
- Potassium: essential for heart health and muscle function
- Iron: vital for oxygen transport in the body
Eating baked salmon regularly can help meet your body’s nutritional needs while enjoying a flavorful meal.
Tips to Keep the Calories in Check
To keep your baked salmon dish as healthy as possible, consider these tips:
- Avoid excessive oil or butter: While a small amount of healthy fat can enhance the flavor, be mindful of portion sizes to keep calories under control.
- Add flavorful herbs and spices: Experiment with different seasonings like dill, lemon zest, garlic powder, or paprika to make your baked salmon even more delicious without adding extra calories.
- Serve with nutrient-rich sides: Accompany your baked salmon with steamed vegetables or a fresh salad to increase the overall nutritional value of your meal.
Baked salmon is not only a delicious seafood option but also a nutritious one. With its moderate calorie content, high protein levels, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential vitamins and minerals, it’s a fantastic choice for a well-rounded meal.
By following some simple tips, you can enjoy the health benefits of this flavorful fish while keeping your calorie intake in check. So go ahead and savor the taste of baked salmon guilt-free!