Salmon is a popular choice for health-conscious individuals due to its high nutritional value and delicious taste. If you’re watching your calorie intake, it’s essential to know the calorie content of the salmon portion you consume. In this article, we’ll explore how many calories are in 5 oz of baked salmon.
Calories in Baked Salmon
Baked salmon is a healthy and flavorful way to enjoy this nutritious fish. When cooked without additional fats or oils, it remains low in calories while providing a good amount of essential nutrients.
On average, a 5 oz serving of baked salmon contains approximately:
- Calories: Around 300-350 calories
- Protein: Approximately 35 grams
- Fat: Roughly 15-20 grams, mostly healthy omega-3 fatty acids
The Benefits of Baked Salmon
Bold flavors and health benefits come together in a dish of baked salmon.
Besides being relatively low in calories, baked salmon offers numerous health benefits. Here are some reasons to include it regularly in your diet:
1. Rich Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Including underlined text for emphasis on the importance of omega-3 fatty acids.
Baked salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health and brain function. These healthy fats can reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and decrease the risk of heart disease.
2. High in Protein
Highlighting the significance of protein with underline formatting.
Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, promoting satiety, and maintaining muscle mass. A 5 oz serving of baked salmon provides approximately 35 grams of high-quality protein, making it an excellent choice for those following a high-protein diet or looking to increase their protein intake.
3. Packed with Essential Nutrients
In addition to omega-3 fatty acids and protein, baked salmon contains several important nutrients including:
- Vitamin D: Supports bone health and immune function
- Vitamin B12: Essential for red blood cell formation and nervous system function
- Selenium: Acts as an antioxidant and supports thyroid health
- Potassium: Important for heart health and maintaining fluid balance
Incorporating Baked Salmon into Your Diet
Baked salmon is incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are a few ideas to incorporate this nutritious fish into your meals:
- Pair it with roasted vegetables and a whole grain for a well-rounded dinner.
- Flake leftover baked salmon over a bed of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and your favorite dressing for a quick and nutritious salad.
- Mix baked salmon into pasta dishes or stir-fries for an added boost of flavor and nutrition.
Remember to adjust the portion size based on your dietary needs and goals. While baked salmon is a healthy choice, it’s always important to maintain a balanced diet that suits your individual requirements.
A 5 oz serving of baked salmon contains approximately 300-350 calories, making it a nutrient-dense food choice. With its high protein content, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential nutrients, baked salmon is an excellent addition to a healthy and well-rounded diet. By incorporating this delicious fish into your meals, you can enjoy its many benefits while satisfying your taste buds.