Grilled salmon is a delicious and healthy meal that can be enjoyed year-round. Grilling salmon on a gas grill is a popular method because it’s quick and easy, but many people wonder how long they should cook their salmon to get the perfect result.
The answer: The general rule of thumb is to grill salmon for 6-8 minutes per inch of thickness. This means that if your salmon is 1-inch thick, you should grill it for 6-8 minutes on each side. If your salmon is thicker, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Preparing Your Salmon:
Before you start grilling your salmon, there are a few steps you need to take to prepare it. First, make sure that your grill is preheated to medium-high heat (around 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit).
Next, lightly brush your salmon with olive oil or melted butter to prevent sticking. Finally, season your salmon with salt and pepper or any other seasonings of your choice.
Grilling Your Salmon:
When it comes to grilling your salmon, there are a few key things to keep in mind:
- Cooking Time: As mentioned earlier, the general rule of thumb is to grill salmon for 6-8 minutes per inch of thickness.
- Flipping: Only flip your salmon once during the cooking process. This will help prevent the fish from falling apart.
- Internal Temperature: To ensure that your salmon is fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The FDA recommends cooking fish until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tips for Perfectly Grilled Salmon:
If you want to take your grilled salmon game up a notch, here are a few tips to help you get the perfect result every time:
- Marinate your salmon before grilling to add extra flavor.
- Use a cedar plank to grill your salmon for a smoky flavor.
- Don’t overcook your salmon! Overcooked salmon can be dry and tough.
- Serve your grilled salmon with a fresh salad or grilled vegetables for a healthy and delicious meal.
In conclusion, grilling salmon on a gas grill is an easy and delicious way to enjoy this healthy fish. By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your salmon is perfectly grilled every time.
Just remember the general rule of 6-8 minutes per inch of thickness, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, and don’t be afraid to get creative with your seasonings and cooking methods. Happy grilling!