Salmon is a delicious fish that is enjoyed by many people around the world. It’s a versatile fish that can be cooked in many different ways, including grilling.
Grilling salmon on the barbecue is a popular method of cooking that imparts a smoky flavor to the fish. However, one question that often comes up when grilling salmon is how long should it be grilled for? In this article, we’ll answer that question and give you some tips on how to grill salmon perfectly.
What You Need to Grill Salmon
Before we get into how long to grill salmon, let’s first talk about what you need to grill it. Here are some essential items you’ll need:
- A fresh salmon fillet
- A barbecue grill
- A pair of tongs
- Oil or cooking spray
- Salt and pepper (optional)
How Long Does It Take to Grill Salmon?
The cooking time for grilling salmon depends on the thickness of the fillet and the heat of your grill. As a general rule, you should grill salmon for about 4-6 minutes per half inch of thickness. For example, if your salmon fillet is an inch thick, you should grill it for about 8-12 minutes.
However, this is just a guideline and not an exact science. The best way to know if your salmon is cooked perfectly is by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of cooked salmon should reach at least 145°F.
Tips for Grilling Salmon Perfectly
Here are some tips to help you grill your salmon perfectly:
- Preheat your barbecue grill before adding the salmon.
- Oil or spray the grates of the grill to prevent sticking.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning before grilling.
- Place the salmon skin-side down on the grill for the first half of cooking. This will help it cook evenly and prevent it from falling apart.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the salmon. It should reach at least 145°F.
Grilling salmon on the barbecue is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy this flavorful fish. The cooking time for grilling salmon depends on the thickness of the fillet and the heat of your grill.
As a general rule, you should grill salmon for about 4-6 minutes per half inch of thickness. Remember to use a meat thermometer to ensure that your salmon is cooked perfectly, and follow our tips to make sure it comes out delicious every time.