Salmon is a delicious and healthy fish that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Baking salmon in the oven is one of the easiest and most popular ways to cook it.
But how long do you bake salmon in the oven? In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about baking salmon to perfection.
Choosing Your Salmon
Before we get into the details of how to bake salmon, it’s important to choose the right type of salmon. There are many varieties available, but some of the most popular ones include:
- Atlantic salmon
- Pacific salmon
- Sockeye salmon
- Coho salmon
When choosing your salmon, look for fillets that are firm and shiny with no signs of discoloration or dryness.
Preparing Your Salmon
Once you have chosen your salmon, it’s time to prepare it for baking. Here’s what you need to do:
- Rinse your salmon fillet under cold water and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Season your salmon with salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices you like.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the top of your seasoned fillet.
- If desired, add lemon slices or other aromatics on top of your fillet.
For best results, let your seasoned fillet sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before baking.
Baking Your Salmon
Now that your salmon is prepared, it’s time to bake it in the oven. Here are some guidelines for how long to bake your salmon based on the thickness of your fillet:
- For a 1-inch thick fillet, bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes.
- For a 1.5-inch thick fillet, bake at 400°F for 18-20 minutes.
- For a 2-inch thick fillet, bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.
To check if your salmon is done, insert a fork into the thickest part of the fillet. If it flakes easily and is opaque all the way through, it’s ready to eat.
Serving Your Salmon
Once your salmon is baked to perfection, it’s time to serve it up. Here are some ideas for how to enjoy your delicious fish:
- Serve with roasted vegetables and rice or quinoa for a healthy meal.
- Add flaked salmon to salads or pasta dishes for extra protein and flavor.
- Top with a creamy sauce or salsa for added richness and texture.
Leftover salmon can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s delicious cold on salads or sandwiches!
In conclusion, baking salmon in the oven is an easy and healthy way to enjoy this tasty fish. With these tips and guidelines, you can bake your salmon to perfection every time!