Kayaking is a thrilling outdoor activity that requires proper equipment storage. As kayaks are large and bulky, it can be challenging to find the right storage solution for them.
One of the best ways to store kayaks is by hanging them vertically. In this tutorial, we will show you how to hang a kayak vertically, step-by-step.
Step 1: Choose the Right Location
The first thing you need to do is choose the right location to hang your kayak. Look for a space that is dry, cool, and well-ventilated. Avoid damp areas as they can cause mold and mildew growth on your kayak.
Step 2: Pick the Right Wall Mounts
The next step is to pick the right wall mounts for your kayak. You can choose from various wall mounts such as J-hooks or cradles. J-hooks are simple and affordable, while cradles are more expensive but provide better support.
J-hooks come in pairs and are easy to install. They have a simple design and work by holding onto the kayak’s scupper holes or cockpit rim. To install J-hooks, follow these steps:
- Mark where you want to install the J-hooks on your wall.
- Drill a hole into the wall at each mark using a power drill.
- Screw in each J-hook using screws and anchors.
- Hang your kayak by placing its cockpit rim onto the hooks.
Cradles provide better support for kayaks as they have padded arms that hold onto the kayak’s hull. However, they require more space and installation time than J-hooks. To install cradles, follow these steps:
- Mark where you want to install the cradles on your wall.
- Screw in each cradle using screws and anchors.
- Hang your kayak by placing its hull onto the padded arms of the cradles.
Step 3: Hang Your Kayak
Once you have installed your wall mounts, it’s time to hang your kayak. To do this, follow these steps:
- Double-check that your wall mounts are securely installed.
- Lift your kayak onto the hooks or cradles using proper lifting techniques (by bending your knees and keeping your back straight).
- Make sure that your kayak is level and stable before letting go.
Step 4: Store Your Kayak Properly
Now that you have hung your kayak vertically, it’s important to store it properly. Make sure to:
- Clean and dry your kayak before storing it.
- Cover it with a tarp or a protective cover to prevent dust and debris from accumulating on it.
- Avoid storing heavy items on top of or near the kayak as they can damage it.
Hanging a kayak vertically is an easy and effective way to store it. By following these simple steps, you can keep your kayak safe and organized while also freeing up valuable floor space.
Just remember to choose the right location, pick the right wall mounts, hang your kayak properly, and store it correctly. Happy kayaking!