If you own a boat in Oregon, you are required to register it with the state and renew your boat tags every two years. Failing to do so can result in hefty fines and even impoundment of your vessel. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to renew your boat tags in Oregon.
Step 1: Gather Required Information
Before you start the renewal process, make sure you have the following information handy:
- Your current boat registration number
- The hull identification number (HIN) of your boat
- Your personal information, including your name, address, and phone number
- Your credit or debit card for payment
Step 2: Renew Online
The easiest and most convenient way to renew your boat tags is online. To do so, follow these steps:
- Visit the Oregon State Marine Board website at https://www.oregon.gov/osmb/Pages/index.aspx.
- Click on the “Boat Registration & Titling” tab on the top menu bar.
- Select “Renew Your Registration” from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your current boat registration number and HIN.
- Verify and update your personal information if necessary.
- Pay the renewal fee using a credit or debit card.
- Print out a temporary permit if needed until your new tags arrive in the mail.
Step 3: Renew by Mail or In Person
If you prefer not to renew online, you can also renew by mail or in person at an Oregon State Marine Board office. Here’s how:
Renew by Mail:
- Download and print the Boat Registration Renewal form from the Oregon State Marine Board website.
- Fill out the form with your current boat registration number, HIN, and personal information.
- Enclose a check for the renewal fee made payable to “Oregon State Marine Board.”
- Mail the form and payment to: Oregon State Marine Board, PO Box 14145, Salem, OR 97309.
Renew in Person:
- Visit an Oregon State Marine Board office during regular business hours.
- Bring your boat registration number, HIN, and payment for the renewal fee (cash, check, or credit/debit card).
- The staff will process your renewal and issue new tags on the spot.
Renewing your boat tags in Oregon is a simple process that can be done online, by mail or in person. Make sure to renew your tags every two years to avoid penalties and keep your vessel legal. With these easy steps outlined above you can be sure that renewing your boat tags is a hassle-free experience!