Salmon is a delicious and nutritious fish that can be prepared in many ways. However, one of the most common questions that arise when cooking salmon is whether to fry it skin side up or down. In this article, we will explore the answer to this question and provide you with some tips for cooking perfect salmon.
Why Is The Skin Important?
Before we dive into the main question, let’s first discuss why salmon skin is an essential component of the fish. The skin contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids and is also a great source of protein. Additionally, it acts as a protective barrier during cooking, preventing the flesh from overcooking and drying out.
Should You Fry Salmon Skin Side Up or Down?
The short answer is that you should always fry salmon skin side down first. The reason for this is that the skin needs to be crispy if you want to achieve a perfectly cooked piece of salmon. When you cook it skin side down, the skin gets exposed directly to the heat source, which helps it crisp up nicely.
Once you have cooked the skin side for around 80% of the total cooking time, flip it over and cook for another 20%. This will ensure that both sides are evenly cooked while still maintaining a crispy texture on the outside.
How To Cook Salmon Perfectly
Now that we have answered your main question let’s look at some tips for cooking perfect salmon:
- Select high-quality salmon: Always choose fresh or frozen high-quality salmon from a trusted supplier.
- Season well: Season your salmon with salt and pepper before frying it.
- Cook on medium heat: Cooking on medium heat helps cook the fish evenly without burning or undercooking it.
- Use oil or butter: Use oil or butter in your pan before frying your fish; this prevents the salmon from sticking to the pan.
- Don’t overcook: Overcooking salmon will make it dry and tough. Always keep an eye on your fish and don’t leave it on the heat for too long.
In conclusion, frying salmon skin side down is the best way to achieve a crispy texture while also ensuring that the flesh is perfectly cooked. Remember to follow our tips for cooking perfect salmon, and you will be able to enjoy this delicious fish in no time!