Are you a kayaking enthusiast looking for new places to explore? If you’re in Cape Cod, you might be wondering if the Cape Cod Canal is a suitable spot for kayaking. In this article, we’ll explore whether kayaking on the Cape Cod Canal is possible and what you need to know before hitting the water.
What is the Cape Cod Canal?
The Cape Cod Canal is an artificial waterway that connects Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod Bay. The canal stretches for 17.5 miles and was completed in 1914. It’s a popular spot for fishing, boating, and other recreational activities.
Can You Kayak on the Cape Cod Canal?
Yes, you can kayak on the Cape Cod Canal! However, there are some important things to keep in mind before embarking on your adventure.
Firstly, it’s essential to be aware of the strong currents in the canal. The currents can be swift and unpredictable at times, making it challenging even for experienced kayakers. Therefore, it’s advisable to check the tide schedules before heading out and avoid kayaking during peak current times.
Secondly, kayakers should stay away from designated swim areas to ensure safety. It’s also important to be aware of other boats and ships passing through as they can create waves that could potentially capsize your kayak.
What Equipment Do You Need?
Kayaking on the Cape Code Canal requires specific equipment to ensure safety and comfort. Here are some of the necessary pieces of equipment:
- Kayak: Choose a sit-in or sit-on-top kayak designed specifically for sea or ocean conditions.
- Paddle: Pick a sturdy paddle with adjustable length that fits your height.
- PFD: A personal flotation device (PFD) is a must-have safety gear for kayaking. Ensure that your PFD fits correctly and has a whistle attached.
- Spray Skirt: A spray skirt will keep you dry and warm by preventing water from splashing into your kayak.
- Appropriate clothing: Wear quick-drying clothes that protect you from the sun, wind, and cold weather. Don’t forget to wear water shoes or sandals with straps to prevent them from slipping off.
Tips for Kayaking on the Cape Cod Canal
Here are some useful tips to make your kayaking experience on the Cape Cod Canal enjoyable and safe:
- Check the tide schedules before heading out: Plan your kayaking trip around low-tide times when the currents are weaker.
- Stay away from designated swim areas: Avoid swimming areas to ensure safety.
- Be aware of other boats and ships: Keep an eye out for other boats or ships passing through as they can create waves that could potentially capsize your kayak.
- Paddle with a partner: It’s always better to have someone else with you for safety purposes.
- Carefully plan your route: Study maps and plan ahead of time to avoid any surprises while on the water.
Kayaking on the Cape Cod Canal can be an exciting experience for adventure seekers. However, it’s important to keep in mind the strong currents, stay away from designated swim areas, and be aware of other boats passing through. With proper planning and equipment, you can have a safe and enjoyable kayaking experience on the Cape Cod Canal.