Are you an adventure seeker looking for a thrilling experience in Oregon? Look no further than Devils Lake!
This picturesque lake, nestled in the heart of the state, offers a perfect setting for kayaking enthusiasts. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced paddler, Devils Lake has something to offer for everyone.
Why Kayak on Devils Lake?
Devils Lake is a hidden gem that offers a unique kayaking experience. Here are some reasons why you should consider kayaking on Devils Lake:
- Breathtaking Scenery: Surrounded by lush green forests and towering mountains, Devils Lake boasts breathtaking natural beauty that will leave you in awe.
- Peaceful Atmosphere: Unlike other popular lakes in Oregon, Devils Lake is relatively less crowded, allowing you to enjoy a peaceful and tranquil kayaking experience.
- Abundant Wildlife: Keep your eyes peeled as you paddle along the serene waters of Devils Lake. You might spot various species of birds, including ospreys and herons, or even deer roaming near the shore.
- Fishing Opportunities: If you’re a fishing enthusiast, bring along your fishing gear as Devils Lake is home to a variety of fish species like rainbow trout and kokanee salmon.
Kayaking Tips for Devils Lake
To make the most out of your kayaking adventure on Devils Lake, keep these tips in mind:
- Kayak: Choose a kayak suitable for recreational use. Sit-on-top kayaks are popular choices due to their stability and ease of use.
- Paddle: Opt for a lightweight paddle with adjustable length to ensure comfortable paddling.
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD): Always wear a properly fitted PFD for your safety.
- Sun Protection: Wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Waterproof Gear: Keep your essentials like phone, keys, and snacks in waterproof bags or containers.
To ensure a harmonious kayaking experience for all, follow these etiquette guidelines:
- Respect Wildlife: Maintain a safe distance from wildlife and avoid disturbing their natural habitat.
- Litter-Free Zone: Pack out what you pack in. Leave no trace behind and help preserve the pristine beauty of Devils Lake.
- Mindful Paddling: Be aware of other kayakers and boaters around you. Follow the right-of-way rules and avoid sudden maneuvers that may cause accidents.
Exploring Devils Lake
The best way to explore Devils Lake is by taking a leisurely paddle around its perimeter. You can start your kayaking adventure from the public boat launch located on the eastern shore of the lake. From there, you can choose to paddle clockwise or counterclockwise depending on your preference.
If you’re up for more exploration, head towards the southern end of the lake where you’ll find D River State Recreation Site. Here, you can take a break from paddling and relax on the sandy beach or enjoy a picnic with stunning lake views as your backdrop.
Don’t forget to bring your camera along to capture the mesmerizing beauty of Devils Lake. The reflections of the surrounding landscape on the calm waters make for a photographer’s paradise.
If you’re seeking a memorable kayaking experience in Oregon, Devils Lake should be at the top of your list. With its awe-inspiring scenery, serene atmosphere, and abundant wildlife, kayaking on Devils Lake is an adventure you won’t want to miss. So grab your kayak, gear up, and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey on the pristine waters of Devils Lake!